Sunday, February 03, 2008

Mardi Gras - Galveston, Texas

Even in the wedding off season I stay just about swamped, however I made it a point to make it out with the family to go take part of some Mardi Gras fun today in Galveston, Texas. The girls had an amazing time. They cleaned house on beads! I wish I could get a away from this machine more often, but work is well... a labor of love... so I really don't mind. However, getting to spend this kind of time with my wife and daughters makes my hear skip a beat!

I hope you enjoy the photos! Oh! I was bit by the PhotoJ bug, so keep scrolling to see my litte photo essay of the day's events.

Enjoy!
Jason
www.jasonconnel.com

Suzannah, our oldest, working that blonde hair to get more beads.

Our middle daughter Annie looking for that next shot.
Annie begging for beads after the Parade.
Our youngest daughter Summer shows off a bit of her haul.
Summer working it to get some beads.
Annie, Suzannah, and Summer pose with their treasure.

I really like to get out and photograph different things. Photographing parades is something every newspaper photog working on a daily must do. I have also had my share of parades when I was pounding pavement full-time as well, but it has been a while since my last one. I had a lot of fun with this little self assignment. I hope you enjoy!

Started off with a pet parade. It was fun to see the owners and pets dressed up as pirates.

The green dog. Anyone, knows the breed of this one let me know. Something I like to do to give my photos a little extra depth and meaning is to include foreground supporting elements in the photo. What would have been a photo of a green dog, while interesting, tells a story when I used the local newspaper photographer in the foreground.



No parade is complete with out the Shriners.

Peak action. I love it! The moment in time when you pause a dramatic moment forever. I just love the beads in mid-air on these four takes takes. I thought getting the beads in the air would spice up a few photos.




Characters abound in the parade.

After the parade we made our way down the Strand where several establishments had folks tossing beads off second story balconies.
Of course there was the people to catch.


And toss...

2 comments:

Amy said...

Your marti gras pics are fabulous....you have an amazing eye...I am a wedding coordinator in Galveston doing some research and stumbled on your website...I appreciate you....

Bold Imagery by Jason Connel said...

Amy,

AWE! Thank you! Hopefully we can work together. Fill free to drop me a line, and we can talk shop.