Monday, March 05, 2007

Sleep Awareness Week


I got an email today reminding me that this is Sleep Awareness Week. This is something that is something that hit home for me a over a year ago. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Basiclly, it is where I stop breathing at night. This is a big deal. Most people with sleep problems complain about being tired during the day. What you do not not realize folks, is that, regular sleep, is vital so your body can regenerate. Without that sleep it can kill you.

For me I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea back in September 2005. I remember what it was like. I was very short tempered. I could not drive for more than a half-hour without dozing off. I could not make it through a meeting with out falling asleep. How bad was it? I was having heart palpitations and chest pains as I would fall asleep. My snoring was so bad I would keep my wife awake. She would witness me stop breathing at night.

Then one day it happened. I thought I was having a heart attack. It turns out it was a just a panic attack. What was clear was that my health was going down hill. Sleep Apnea can cause a incredible higher risk of stroke and heart problems. It is not so good on the waste line either.

The biggest symptom is snoring. It is one of the most common health problems in the country. Having this means a life of uncertainly. People who have this have other health problems. It is easily controlled. I used a ResMed S8 CPAP machine to control mine. I have a wonderful doctor. The best in Chattanooga. Today I am 40 pounds lighter, and life is a joy again. Seriously folks it is life and death. Without it I stop breathing 71 times an hour.

Talk to your doctor, or talk to me. I will help you out. Tell you about my experience.

Enjoy!
Jason

www.jasonconnel.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jason!

Great story about how getting your sleep apnea treated has changed your life. The CPAP can really work wonders! I know, because I've been using mine for over 12 years now.

For readers who are looking for more information about sleep apnea, check out the website of the American Sleep Apnea Association at http://www.sleepapnea.org

Keep up the good work in sharing your success story.

Dave Hargett
Chairman
American Sleep Apnea Association